Monday, August 18, 2008

Getting Ready and Winding Down

Well, its official.  The school year is about to begin.  Tomorrow morning I must once again begin the cycle of classes, reading, and briefing.  This year, however, I've chosen my courses.  I am very excited about them.  I am also doing an externship, which should cut into my free time considerably but will be (I hope) very beneficial to my legal education and growth.

I also have news: I opened my ETSY store this week!

BlueMutt Designs is where I am selling stitch markers, some hand spun and hand dyed yarn, and project bags that I've made.

I've opened it not so much to make a lot of money, but to spread the proceeds of my inherent craftiness.  I love to make, but myself and those that I love can only use so much of my made items.  So hopefully this will be a way for me to fund my *makingness and also donate to charity.

I've decided that 10% of the purchase price of everything will go to the Madison Oglethorpe Animal Shelter where the BlueMutt (Max) came from.  They're a great bunch of big-hearted people, but they need financ
ial support to keep saving the lives of the poor dogs and cats that are neglected in our area.  I give time, when I can, and money, when I can, but with this Etsy store, I'm hoping to give more!

In spinning and knitting news...

Knitting: 

Monday we visited Main Street Yarns & Fibers and I picked up five skeins of Riverstone, one in cream (can't find the ball band) and four in French Blue.  I'm making the Hexacomb Cardigan from Interweave Knits.  Its a really easy repeat and I love the colors!















On Friday, while driving through Lawrenceville, I saw the sign for Yarn Garden Knit Shop.  I was literally driving by and spotted it.  Needless to say my passenger thought I was a little crazy.  But I was driving so we stopped and I picked up my first and possibly the most beautiful yarn in the world skein of Malabrigo in Dusty Olive.  I've heard of this... but until I saw it, I didn't understand:
















It is destined to be a pair of mittens for my grandmother. I've chosen the Plait Cable Mittens.  I think a little cable won't detract from the colors.

Spinning-wise... DH and I watched In the Shadow of the Moon on Saturday night and while we did, I spun some undyed roving I bought back in May at Earth Guild.  It is really soft, and was really inexpensive.  The movie, by the way, was fascinating. Its a documentary about the NASA moon missions and the background behind them.  I wanted to be an astronaut when I was little, so it was really interesting to me.

While the summer (at least activities-wise) is winding down, I have a lot to look forward to in the coming months!


No comments: