Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Night of the Ninja Cats

And by Ninja I mean Insane

This morning I staggered out into my living room before the sun had risen to see some vaguely familiar dark objects on the floor. Knowing that DH is not fully trained in the art of taking the dog out before bed time, I switched on the light, fully expecting to be breaking out the carpet cleaner. To my complete surprise I found that my new Money magazine was shredded. Walking around the coffee table, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw my Monkey sock lying on the floor. Pieces of paper and fabric were scattered around the table, and when I picked up the knitting I discovered (thankfully) the knitting had been left alone. But then I noticed half of my Addi Turbo knitting needle was missing. Half of the stitches were flying free. My sock project bag had bottom chewed out of it. The remotes were scattered around. But oddly, the plastic bag with chocolate chip cookies were untouched.

I am still not sure exactly what happened last night. DH immediately blamed the dog, but I doubt it was him. For one, he would have eaten the cookies, despite the bag, and he has a bad habit of chewing on yarn balls. The yarn and cookies were untouched. I'm pretty sure it was the cats... but not sure why.

They had food, their litter was clean,and they had water. The cat nip toy was on the television and hadn't been on the floor in a few days, so catnip doesn't seem to have been a factor. This is the second crazy event in their life with us, the first being their "accidents" on the bed after we got the dog.

I picked up the pieces of paper and fabric, tore the first fifteen pages off of the magazine and put the knitting on the top of my shelf. I'll have to buy another needle (I was magic-looping the socks) before I can finish them. Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure of the size (1 or 2) and so I don't think I'll pop over to Main Street after class. I'd hate to buy the wrong size and have two of one size and none of the other.
















In other news, this weekend was my birthday and my darling brother and sister gave me a yarn ball winder. I know that I can wind my own center-pull ball, but they look so pretty when you do it with the winder. I spend most of Saturday and Sunday winding all of my wool into balls. DH and I also finally figured out how to get a substantial shelf up on our extremely crappy duplex walls (studs every 24 inches). I think it was probably the most expensive shelf, for what it is made out of, that I'll ever own. Next time I'm just buying another bookshelf. But now I have a lovely shelf with yarn, just yarn, on it. My plan is to organize the shelf more, but I haven't gotten there yet.
















Olive at the Party:













Max at the Party:













Flowers at the party:















Sunday I went to the Augusta Spinner's Guild with my friend from Harvest Moon Garden. It was quite the drive, but I did have a really good time. I learned how to comb wool and managed to comb some and spin it up. I need to get some wool combs, but they're quite expensive. They also are really slow, so I might just wash up the wool I have and get Susannah to use her carding machine for me. I'd willingly pay her to do that. I was given some beautiful eggs from someone who keeps several different breeds of chickens. I don't know how they taste, but they made good chocolate chip cookies. They're also really pretty...























I purchased some Peace Fleece from a fellow raveler, and I'm quite pleased with it. Its a little rough, but its really pretty. For those of you who don't know about Peace Fleece, its a really great idea. There is a village comprised of Palestinians and Israelis somewhere in the Middle East where they are trying a social experiment to see if peace works. The yarn comes from fleece from their sheep. Sorry for the short description, but there's a better one on their website for more details.

I love this way of trading among ravelers. I suppose I might get burned eventually, but it seems like a great way to get some yarn at a discounted price since people are just trying to get rid of orphan skeins or stuff they are never going to use.

The socks that the cats attacked are a lovely pair of Monkey Socks by Cookie A, made with Trekking yarn. I had never seen this yarn knit up, but had heard about it on Live and Violet, so I purchased a skein when I was in Michigan. this summer. But when I went to the knit club that my law school friend invited me to, someone had knit up a similar skein. It was just beautiful! Its like self-striping but not so stripey. And the variations are so subtle that while its not just plain solid, its also easy to see the stitch pattern. I was thoroughly enjoying knitting these, but it looks like I'll have to take a break for a few days.

Second in a pair of Warm Woolies Socks:


No comments: