Thursday, October 2, 2008

Reality TV

I used to think that I hated reality tv.  And I do hate some of it.  I hate when they over-dramatize a situation, like on Survivor.  But I really do like the trashy reality tv.  Like I Love New York or Charm School on Vh1.   Those shows are like watching a train wreck.  You can't tear your eyes away but they're more and more trashy in every episode.

That being said, DH and I are thoroughly enjoying our cable and especially TruTV (formerly CourtTV).  I don't remember Court TV being this good though.  They show COPS, Speeders and Bait Car.  There's also some show about really horrible things, like train wrecks and car crashes, that are caught on film.  I don't like that one as much, but DH enjoys it.

Right now Bait Car is on in the background.  Its an interesting idea: police plant a car in a crime plagued area and the police monitor it to see how many times it gets stolen.  There is a hidden camera in it to record their faces and what they say.  I'm no expert in Criminal Law, but this seems a bit like entrapment to me.  I guess its probably a close call, or it wouldn't be on television.  The best part though is when they shut the car down while the thief is driving so they can't get away.

Rant about Reality TV aside, another reality television show is on tonight, the VicePresidential Debate.  I did watch the Presidential debate last week at a friend's house (Lotus Yarns).  But tonight I'm not in the mood to watch the ... discourse.  Palin's accent is too funny and I have trouble concentrating on what she says after seeing Tina Fey's portrayal on SNL.

I did however see something I LOVE on the Yarn Harlot's blog.   She knit Hey Teach and I think I'm going to have to do that next. Its in cotton, which is good, both because we live in Georgia where it never really gets that cold, and because I know some reasonably priced sources for nice cotton.

Knitting wise... 

The dog chewed the ends off of the needles I was using for my sister-in-law's scarf for her birthday.  Luckily I have more and he didn't get too much yarn.  One more skein and I'll be done!
















This is clearly from earlier in the week, since its only about a foot and a half long!

I acquired some yarn from Lotus Yarns directly from the source.  I laughed when I realized that what I thought were spices in her kitchen were actually her dyes!   This is Speakeasy.  Its so soft and I can't wait to knit a pair of socks! 

















I'm completing a pair of Monkey Socks with Trekking.  I love the subtle variegations of the colorway, dark purples and mauves.  Is mauve a term people use anymore?  It seems to me like a very '80's color, like in the way that people would wear big mauve and grey blocks of color on an oversized sweater.  The '80s were all a blur of vibrant colors, oversized clothes and big hair.  I don't really remember much about fashion except that my mom wore a lot of oversized sweatshirts with puffy paint designs on them.  She was so skinny that she was probably really in style, but looking back.... I just hope we don't look back at today's fashion like that.
















For a friend's new beautiful baby Genevieve, I made these beautiful bibs from Mason-Dixon Knitting with some Lion's Brand Organic Cotton yarn.  They have such an amazing effect but are literally just squares done in garter stitch. 

















And finally, I sent off my dear friend V's birthday present today.  Her birthday is actually Sunday, but I think she'll get it on Saturday.  She sent me some awesome gifts that I'll be using to make some more socks!  I'm a little sock crazy!  These are Fetching in some blue color of Malabrigo.  I love them!


No comments: