Monday, June 21, 2010

Graduated and unemployed-so why am I so busy?

The title would be the explanation for my absence. I have indeed been toying with the idea of a video cast, even tested out the lighting in my office (terrible) and even have an Evernote list of topics. So why haven't I done it yet? Because I am inexplicably more busy than I was when I was a full-time student.

Bar prep class is going along full-steam ahead and I am constantly playing catch up. I also have a part time job at the law library where I am working in the cataloguing department. That is only minimum wage but its pretty interesting. Well. That's not entirely true. It is only minimum wage but its not that interesting. Its actually very dirty. I keep thinking I should submit that job for Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs, but by the time I get a response I won't be there anymore (and hopefully the collection will be complete). I am actually entering a huge collection of law reporters from India that are mostly pre-Independence. A few go into the 60's, and apparently there are a few that the law library actually receives the new editions for, but those were already in the system. I am literally putting the books into the electronic system. They were catalogued years ago, with a "fake" cataloguing number, so that there was a record somewhere of them, but they never received a barcode or true Library of Congress call number. My job is to find the collections of dusty, musty, moldy and salty (from ocean travel apparently) and cart them to my office corner, barcode, write the call number in, and enter them into the computer system. My favorite part of the job is sticking the spine labels on them. That shows how fascinating it is.

But the people who work in that department (a department I had no knowledge existed until last month) are all fascinating, engaging and very nice people. Everyone has been very kind to me, take an interest in my life, job search, etc. and all are funny and smart people. I have to say, I won't miss fitting a few hours in between life and bar prep, but I will miss seeing these ladies every other day. Of course, I'm not really going anywhere, but I won't be able to chat about hiking the AT with the woman whose office I am invading, or discuss the differences between Castillian Spanish and Latin American Spanish with another member of the department.

So, that is what I am up to. Bar prep is not worth really talking about. Its miserably boring and I keep falling asleep during the videos. But I'm watching them, trying to pay attention and cram information into my skull. Suffice to say, I get a lot of knitting done while I watch them. (It helps me focus-otherwise my mind wanders off of Conditions, the Rule Against Perpetuities, and the Dormant Commerce Clause, for example)

As far as spinning goes... I did spin up 4 oz of organic merino that I dyed but I haven't photographed it. I actually haven't taken the second half off the wheel. I'd like to participate in the Tour de Fleece, which begins next week and conveniently ends before the bar, but I'm not sure I have enough fiber. Well, that's not true. I have about 8 oz of mill ends that I dyed a few weeks ago to spin as well as one pound of cormo purchased at SAFF that needs one more bath (so much lanolin!) and flick carding. I should spin that up to go with the other pound my friend gave me last fall-I would have enough for a sweater, I think.

Knitting:
- Completed one Christmas present (No pictures, sorry)
I know, Christmas, crazy right? Well it was part of a KAL (Knit A-Long) that I have joined on Ravelry and I figured I could get a present knocked out
- I am ALMOST finished with Haruni (Ravelry link) out of Malabrigo Sock. This is not bar prep knitting due to its charts. I actually think I only have one more wrong side row left then the fancy bind off. Tonight I watched a documentary (not worth mentioning) with a friend and I got the last few rows done. Then a couple Dirty Jobs on Netflix streaming and I'm in the final stretch. This yarn was purchased with a graduation gift certificate from a very good family friend. I love this yarn! I've used it before and I consider it in the higher price range ($20 per skein) but I really think it is worth it. I don't know how it wears as socks, as both projects are scarves, but I like it for them.
- Halfway done with another Christmas present (No pictures, sorry). This is out of Patons Kroy Sock and I have to say, for a Patons product sold in Michaels, I'm really liking it. I foresee using it in the future.

What do I have pictures of? Good question:



Off Kilter mitts (Ravelry link) made with Rowan by Amy Butler belle organic aran that my thoughtful future brother-in-law brought me from Paris. Just enough yarn in one ball to complete three cables down the arm. I don't know why I am holding my arm so awkwardly in the picture, as if it was a wrist brace. (I was having issues with my wonderful Nikon D50 that I got as a self-graduation from college present. I'm thinking I might have to replace it.)



Tawashi knot (Ravelry link) made out of random acrylic I found in my bin marked "Assorted Acrylic." I knew there was a reason I kept that. Its a paid pattern ($1.50) although its not much more than a long strip folded. The pattern has you switch from knit to purl at regular intervals in the strip, however, which makes the stripes look right when you fold it. Its quite ingenious and although you can make this without buying the pattern, its not too much to pay to avoid the arduous task of figuring out exactly how to fold it. Maybe it would just be arduous for me in the midst of watching COPS on a forced bar prep break. Also, this is still sitting on the table. I can't bring myself to use it for its intended purpose of scrubbing dishes. I guess I need to make more. That purple yarn isn't going to be used for anything else.



This was a test knit that I did for with some Spud and Chloe Fine that I had. Its a shiny and pretty yarn, being superwash wool and silk, but I didn't really like knitting with it. The pattern is fabulous though. Its written for both top down and toe up and the chart is well written. I didn't have much to contribute to her pattern once I was finished. That being said, I might rip it out. I love the pattern but I REALLY don't want to knit another sock with the yarn. Its so expensive, I think it might make a nice scarf-something lacey on bigger needles (Its a splitty yarn). The pattern is Hanging Diamonds by Sharon Bird.


Last but not least, this is my charity project for the months of April and May. It is the Road Scarf which is a free Lion Brand pattern. I made mine out of Lion Brand's Fisherman Wool, an appropriate choice, and had most of a full skein to use. I did three repeats and its quite a wide scarf, so it will keep someone warm this winter. The project was for Children's Emergency Relief International, which seems like a great organization even if they do mission trips. The knitwear we create goes to Eastern Europe, which although the people probably need more than scarves, at least one person will be a little warmer.

And that is the end of this massive post. I am waiting for DH to get home from work so I hate to go to sleep, I'll leave you with a quote I just read. The book is the Know-it-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs. I'm enjoying it immensely. The author is an editor for Esquire and a contributor for the New York Times, and spends a year reading the Encyclopedia Britannica. I think I like it so much because secretly I want to do this. But at any rate, I'm learning quite a bit and he's very funny, so its an enjoyable read. But I found something very meaningful in it (as the author did).

From Robert Ardrey under the category of philosophy:

"But we were born of risen apes, not fallen angels, and the apes were armed killers besides. And so what shall we wonder at? Our murders and massacres and missiles, and our irreconcilable regiments? Or our treaties whatever they may be worth; our symphonies however seldom they may be played; our peaceful acres, however frequently they may be converted into battlefields; our dreams however rarely they may be accomplished. The miracle of man is not how far he has sunk but how magnificently he has risen. We are known among the stars by our poems, not our corpses."

No comments: